Skip to main content

Taco Seasoning Mix (+ bonus taco salad)



If you are someone who is used to using premade mixes, I get that. It often feels simpler and faster. But, let me give you a little confidence and say that if you have a decently stocked spice rack, you probably have everything you need to create those mixes from scratch!

An added benefit of making mixes like the below taco seasoning is that you start to get to know what flavors go well together and you can adjust specific elements to make it perfectly to your taste.

Taco Seasoning Mix
A recipe from my mom. Here are her directions.

1 Tbsp Chili Powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp Ground Cumin
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cornstarch

Combine all ingredients. Use as you would a package of taco seasoning, to season 1 pound of browned, drained ground beef: Add 3/4 cup water and simmer 5 minutes. OR use less water (1/4 cup) and heat in the microwave for 4 minutes.

Elizabeth's notes:

  • I actually don't like highly seasoned meat, so I usually keep a jar of this mix on hand and just sprinkle to taste. 
  • This seasoning also works well for fajita veggies, chicken, or corn.

One additional way to use this mix- Taco Salad

The other day I used this as an inspiration for a taco salad. I sauteed some chopped bell peppers, onion, and frozen corn with a little taco seasoning mix sprinkled on top. Once tender I set aside and used the same pan to cook some chicken, again sprinkled with this seasoning mix.

Once cooked I assembled my salad with lettuce, veggie mix, chicken, shredded cheese, hot sauce, and ranch with a lemon slice on the side to squeeze on top. If you are looking for a little crunch add some tortilla chips on the side or crumbled on top.

This feels a little less like a recipe and more like a list of ingredients, but that's how cooking works sometimes. The flavors were excellent together!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mexican Quinoa (instant pot)

Alrighty, so where I live (Long Island) we went through a pretty long phase where getting meat was tricky. By that I mean, everything but steak was not easy to find for a while. However, I had zero problem getting veggies, especially because we are imperfect foods customers (you should look them up, great company! If you want a referral code or have any questions let me know!) Even if you can get meat, it's nice to mix things up every now and then! It's better on your budget, and it has an environmental impact too :) Plus, it helps you plan for longer spans of time with meal planning. We usually try to have at least one vegetarian meal a week anyways, but right now we have one or two vegetarian meals, then a meal with meat, then another couple vegetarian meals etc. just to spread out the meat that we have. So, we've been experimenting with a lot of vegetarian meals. This is one of my favorites we've done. It is an instant pot meal-so if you don't have an instan

Sweet Potatoes for Breakfast

A little over a year ago my husband and I tried to do whole 30. If you are not familiar with what this is, you eliminate a lot of things (sugar, dairy, gluten, etc.) from your diet for 30 days to try and kickstart a healthier overall diet and mindset about food. There are many good things about the whole 30 philosophy, but for a variety of reasons it did not work for us and we ended up quitting early. Even though we didn't survive all 30 days I did pick up a few tricks and new recipes in the process. My favorite new discovery was sweet potatoes for breakfast. Sweet potatoes are incredibly versatile. They are like that dress in your closet that you can dress up or dress down. You know the one, change the shoes and jewelry and all of a sudden you went from work-ready to party-ready. That's how I look at sweet potatoes. Depending on the seasoning they can satisfy your sweet tooth, become a very filling side dish, or add a little variety and excitement to an otherwise bori

Sesame Beef Tacos

Am I the only person who struggles to find an Asian recipe that tastes as good as restaurant food? Try as I might, I never seem to get it right. I don't know where to begin when it comes to seasonings and don't necessary want to have a cupboard full of  spices and sauces I will use only once in a blue moon. As a wedding gift a friend of ours gave us a few meals from HelloFresh and we ordered Sesame Beef Tacos. All I can say (or those who know my husband he would say) these are PHENOMENAL! We've already made this recipe more than once and most certainly will keep it as a regular in our household. I hope you'll love it as much as we do! Sesame Beef Tacos P.S. Did you know you can see the ingredients and step by step instructions on HelloFresh website/app for all of the recipes they offer? No subscription needed, though you may need to make an account